From 16th May until 31st October 2015
Grand Rue 107, 1660 Château-d’Oex
Built in 1569 to host the Bernese authorities who ruled the Pays d’Enhaut, the Chateau de Rougement was rebuilt in the mid 18th century.
In 1798 The Bernese were driven from the territory by the Vaud revolution. The chateau was then held by the local bourgeois until 1902, when it was sold and then changed hands many times until February 24, 1924 when it was acquired by the American diplomat Mr. William Hallam Tuck.After the fire of 1973 the Tuck family had rebuilt the chateau at great expense according to the original drawings – a dramatic demonstration of Tuck’s fondness for our region.
After Mr. Tuck’s death, his friends John and Polly Guth purchased the chateau. Mrs. Guth’s generous gift of these decoupages enables us to share them with you in this exposition.
Dr. Constant Delachaux’s 1950 catalog of paper cuttings included nine works by Hauswirth, all in the collection of Mr. William Hallam Tuck, owner of the Chateau of Rougemont.
These important works survived the 1973 fire thanks to the courage and presence of mind of Mr. David Rossier, an antique dealer who risked his life to enter the burning chateau and rescue these treasures which were hung in the grand salon.
Mrs. Polly Guth, who with her late husband John purchased the chateau from their friend Tuck, generously donated this collection to the Musée de Château-d’Oex in Tuck’s memory, so that it could be properly displayed and enjoyed by the general public. It gives us great pleasure to share them with you today.
We would like to extend our thanks to John and Polly Guth who have significantly enriched the collection of the Musee du Pays-d’Enhaut. Through our occasional meetings and over time, it became obvious that the Tuck family as well as Mr. and Mrs. Guth had a great interest in the Pays-d ‘Enhaut, and in Rougement, the chateau in particular. We thank them warmly on behalf of all inhabitants from our region.
Jean-Frédéric Henchoz, curator
Fascinated by the transformation of plants into paper, Elisabeth Nicollier offers them a second life.
First of all she creates paper from vegetable matter such as stinging nettles, onions, hostas, yuccas, lilies, iris, horsetails, roses or orchids. Inspired by the natural beauty of these plants she then produces artistic objects which are both useful and poetic.
The exhibition is accompanied by a presentation on the origins of paper in China more than 2000 years ago, on its propagation throughout Europe by the Arabs in the Xth century and on the different techniques of traditional production.
Demonstration and creation of paper
Open from Tuesday to Sunday 2 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Route du Mont 39, 1660 Château-d’Oex